Friday, January 3, 2014

A Gulf Separates Great Contrast


As daylight broke on Miami, we set out to achieve what ought to have been achieved the day before, had it not been for incompetence. I had stayed up all night screwing around on the computer for no real reason (other than to update my blog). The wait was much shorter than it had been the day before, which was to be expected. Rather than being poorly rested and waiting for 5 hours, we were well rested and waited for much less. I got to eat a cinnamon roll for breakfast, and burned my tongue on some hot chocolate. The plane was less advanced than the one from the day before, but the flight went off without a hitch this time. We got a great view of Miami before passing over the obfuscating clouds. Yesterday I had to wait forever to get my wheelchair, but I got it pretty much immediately today- which might be attributed to the fact that I was one of the last off the plane. The security officers in Belize were very friendly, as opposed to the all-business security of Miami and Columbus. I'm not trying to make a statement here about either one, it's merely an observation. The point was hammered home by conversations and handshakes. We finally got our luggage and piled into a van. Here, I abstained from a hamburger lunch but I was pretty thirsty, so I broke an unofficial 8 month long diet of Soda because I wanted to see what Coke tasted like minus the high fructose corn syrup plus extra sugar. I was not disappointed, it was so much more delicious than Stateside coke.

I had the option of going to the zoo, but I decided against it. Not much of an animal person. I rode with Paul to get to our campsite. He's a pretty interesting dude. He plays loads of instruments and is a producer at a music studio. Trent, Josh and I talked with him for a while and made a few cultural exchanges. At the campsite, the contrast was super apparent. In Miami, we had top of the line hotel rooms with flat screen TVs, comfy beds and loads of pillows, blankets, nice carpet and private bathrooms. None of these were present at the campsite. Uncomfortable beds, bathrooms with zero privacy, heck, there's just one big room with lots of bunks. I say this not to complain, but to contrast the two nights. Given how easily I dosed off earlier, I doubt the comfort of the beds will be a huge issue. My main gripe is the difficulty of using my computer in bed. There's no easy way to prop myself up in the bed like last night, so if I want to type I can either do it in the cafeteria or I can wriggle around, changing positions until I find something I can deal with.

Pardon my optimism, but even the issues that the trip poses seem fun. The roads are a total mess, and get worse every time it rains. Even so, our crew has a lot of fun with it, and we can pretty much roll with the punches. After dressing up the beds and stuff, they don't seem that uncomfortable. I'm a picky eater, but my taste buds have to adapt here, I don't have a choice- and that actually makes me feel better about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment