Monday, January 6, 2014

Guatemala - First Impressions

Well, we made it into Guatemala last night, and the first thing I noticed were that the roads were (mostly) paved. Praise the Lord for that. Guatemala seems to have more life to it than Belize does as far as terrain and inhabitants. This trip hasn't been easy for me though, I have been missing my girlfriend, family and friends a lot. I guess I have never been this far out of my comfort zone and it makes me miss home. It is bizarre how much we take for granted. I mean, Internet alone is something that is like gold here for us. When we find it, we all rush around passing the WiFi password around so we can connect to our friends, families and girlfriends. It's just something that back in the States, we are so connected at all times, not just when we are sitting in one spot. This is definitely a learning experience and showing me what I was privileged to have growing up.

Try to imagine growing up in a house that has dirt floors, or riding/driving old beat up cars, having to live in houses that are only made up of scraps of metal. I couldn't. I see these people crowded in areas that look so run down and beat up, but they're all happy and content. It is just crazy to think that where you are born changes so much between the cultures. I just couldn't truly grasp it until I saw it for myself. This is definitely a learning experience, while teaching me to take things I have and opportunities I have seriously. I hope all is well back home, I love you all.

-Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment