Saturday, January 4, 2014

Day 2 thoughts

So today we finally got to Belize. First impressions, it is different. During our drive inland, you could tell how poor this country really is. Some of these houses don't even look inhabitable, yet full families are living there. The houses are small and very vibrant. I met a guy named Paul and asked him why the houses are all so differently colored, assuming it is because they could not afford to fully paint a house, and I was right. He said a can of paint in Belize costs around 100-200$ U.S. currency. So most people just paint their houses with whatever they can get their hands on. Paul has been very helpful in explaining things about Belize that I would never have known before. I skipped out on the Zoo today, mainly because I will be here for four months and can go anytime I want to. It turned out for the best for me because Paul has explained everything from WiFi, cell phones and living on this ride to our campgrounds.

There are A LOT of stray dogs and people riding bikes everywhere. Have yet to see a really nice car down here, (the nicest being a Dodge Ram 2500). The roads are terrible and you are constantly dodging holes in the road. There are no rules of the road either.


Getting into our bunks, I realize I came under packed, haha. It is pretty humid here, so I am sweating pretty good while completely out of my American comfort zone. I am just ready to move into our hotel for the rest of our stay. 

The people here are really nice and friendly though. I am excited to see the rest of the city. I wish I had bought some boots though! (It's really muddy around here).

No comments:

Post a Comment