Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day Five in Belize:

     Today was a new and a great day with no fireworks waking me up this morning. Of course I had earplugs last night to hopefully prevent any noise getting through but apparently there were no fireworks going off last night. So I was used those for nothing I guess. We had wonderful pancakes for breakfast with some fruit. After breakfast, we headed on over to the Mango Village again to finish the stoves for the people there.
     Today was a lot better than yesterday in my opinion because we helped out more people and I got to really interact with the adults and children. I comprehended some of the Spanish that I took a few years ago and used it today to speak with the children. The kids are more patient with us American trying to speak Spanish but the adults understand but get more aggravated when trying to speak to them I believe. After playing with the children for a while, they brought out some of their kittens that were only twenty days old. They were the sweetest and very friendly cats I have ever played with. I had one crawl onto my arm and stuck it's head into my armpit to keep itself warm.
     When that house was finished after completing one before that, we grabbed a quick lunch before the last one. We had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches again with either bread or tortillas. We also had BBQ chips and some kind of cookie. A simple lunch like that always fills you up and taste delicious. The weather today was absolutely terrible. It was very cold, cloudy, and rainy so it was not a good day to be out doing work but seeing the look on the peoples faces after we completed their stove was worth every minute out there. They seemed to appreciate all that we do and are willing to help us put it in despite us being from another country and not speaking their language. I honestly did not know what to expect from helping these people, but now I finally understand and very thankful that I came on this trip for not only for the experience for myself, but to help others in need.
     For dinner tonight, we decided to go out on our own little groups. The group that I was in wanted to go to a chicken place. We all mostly got burgers though. It was a lot harder than I thought to order food in an all Spanish speaking country. I tried to order a burger with no sauce on it but of course it came out loaded with sauce. He still got a good tip though. We ended the day early right around 8pm so we have had a little free time tonight. But I think  tonight I'm just going to relax after all of that heavy lifting today. I've had my workout for the week in just a few hours of work. Hopefully tomorrow will be fun as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment