Sunday, January 5, 2014

Bolting Down the Guatemala Highway

After breakfast, we changed locations again. This time, to Guatemala. After a couple hours at a checkpoint, watching some of my classmates play with a young local boy, we hopped into a new bus. The ride was very long, very bumpy and very speedy. Although these two parts of the day were the longest by far, there's not much to say about them. What is there to say about a large group taking a long time to get through a checkpoint and then driving? I saw a guard with a shotgun. That was cool I guess, but it doesn't give me any material to ramble about. I'm not much of a sightseer, so I can't really remark on the culture or beauty just by what I saw on the way here. There was a lot of motorcycles, I guess? Maybe somebody else's blog is better at that aspect of travel.

The room we're staying in at Guatemala is much more appealing to my sensibilities. Even though there are stairs up to my room, it's much shorter from the road to my room. Although smaller, there's more privacy. It's more comfy. The beds are nice, the lights fill the room and are easier to reach. The bugs aren't everywhere, and there's, as far as I know, no threat of tarantulas (I've never seen these alleged tarantulas, however).

At the restaurant, I realized how little I remember from spanish. At one point, I knew how to order food fairly well, and the proper responses to basic phrases. I knew how to ask for directions and stuff. Now, all that stuff is but dust in the wind. At least some of my party members seem to remember a little spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment