Thursday, January 2, 2014

Dangling on the Precipice of Stateside Boundaries

Things went wrong pretty quickly, but I suppose that's ordinary for trips. Whenever I go on any sort of trip out of state, the weather is guaranteed to precipitate profusely. Any if it can snow, it will snow. It may seem like confirmation bias, but it seems overwhelmingly true. And whether true or exaggeration, it was the case. Honestly, snow on its own is not actually all that big of a deal. Airports are filled with professionals who make a living getting people from point A to point B. At the peak of the day, about 400,000 to 500,000 people are in the air at any given time. Honestly, just thinking about the logistics of such a feat ought to inspire great confidence in the flight industry. But then you see it in practice.

In role-playing games, we have a saying: "Don't split the party". Dividing a travelling group into two sections is going to cause problems. It's time consuming, costly and inefficient. Granted, in real life, many of the reasons that splitting the party is a poor idea are different, but it doesn't make the generalization any poorer. Splitting up during travel causes complications. The Kenyon group and the MVNU group took separate groups. I was in the MVNU group even though I belong in both. The idea was that we would end up in Belize together by the end of the day and that Dad (Dr. Skon for those of you unprivileged enough to avoid being his scion) would take care of the accommodations once we were down there. This did not happen. They got down, we did not, which is a worse scenario than nobody making it or only us making it. As a result, this put my father in a bad mood.

It would have been real easy to get impatient today. However, having been to the airport before and knowing how much time it took, I just made a conscious decision to not do so. Whenever I got bored, I retreated into flights of fantasy within my own head, on which I will not elaborate. Things were bad enough when our plane got delayed 3 hours. When we got on a separate plane, the airport, the captain, whoever was in charge, made a series of bad decisions that wasted another 2 and a half hours. It seems to me that before you make it on the runway you ought to be ready to take off, but that's not what they decided to do. They filled up their water tank, made it to the runway, then turned around to refuel.

I had a nice time on the flight itself. It was comfortable and I love looking out the window. The blue skies, the fluffy clouds. Magnificent. Last time I listened to Strong Bad Sings and other songs on the way there and back, but I didn't bother this time, I just slept. Planes are pretty comfy for a small guy like me. It was a little annoying how long I had to wait for my wheelchair once we disembarked. And as a result of all that wasted time, flying to Belize was impossible, so the airport fed us and stuck us in this really nice hotel, where I'm typing this.

The food was nice and the room is fantastic. I'm feeling positive. Sure, things went wrong, but I got to kick back and relax all day then chill in this sweet suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment