Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Belize Trip: Day 2

1/3
Today’s travel went over a lot better.  We made it to the airport with plenty of time.  Dr. Skon was able to get our boarding passes pretty quickly.  We all passed through the TSA check without a hitch, of course though, Mike took a long time to get through since he has nearly endless pockets.  We had about an hour wait for the flight to Belize.  During the waiting time, I overheard a group or two of other late-high school / early college students who were also taking a trip to Belize.  We would be seeing them later, know it or not.  The flight boarded right on time.  This plane was not as nice.  Not by a longshot.  Fortunately, I had an aisle seat and did not get stuck in the middle.  Hopefully the return flights will also give me non-middle seats.  The plane was decent, just old.  The ride was less than great however, it was very choppy and the landing was not well done.  
Amazingly, our luggage arrived, which was a huge relief.  Until I opened my first bag.  The TSA had opened my bag and frankly made a mess.  I had a brand new and sealed container of contact solution.  An agent had opened it, I presume to test it to make sure it was not something illegal.  Well, lucky for me, the agent failed to put the cap on correctly so I got solution EVERYWHERE.  Kristen had given me a small jar-type thing full of M&M’s to take along, they were securely packed and the lid was difficult to remove.  When I opened the container, the M&M’s were everywhere.  The only way this could have happened is if a TSA agent opened the jar and literally just dumped the M&M’s into my bag.  It was a huge mess.  Once we cleaned stuff out of my bag, I was so flustered that I locked my keys in the bag.  Mike was later able to break the lock for me.  
Once we got to be Belize, we packed up our luggage and went off to the Zoo.  We saw all kinds of good stuff and we saw the groups from the airport again.  We saw them quite a few times.  And then the rain hit! It rained from the time at the zoo until midafternoon the next day.  It got super wet.  That would cause some problems later on.

When we got to the campsite, I have to say that I was at first less than impressed.  But after dinner at Benny’s, it felt like a nice home.  And Benny’s itself was quite interesting.  Our waitress, Lucy, was incredibly friendly and accomodating.  Many of us took Doug’s word that both the lime juice and the nachos were incredibly delicious.  He was right on the lime juice, but the nachos were nothing special in my opinion.  they were much better than many places, but they did not come close to the top of the list for me.  After seeing some of the things that the guys at the table and neighboring tables ordered, I think I will take a liking to the food here.  Also, the people were much more friendly than expected.  Not one, but two people came up to the table while we were waiting on our food and told us to have a good evening and enjoy the food.  That would be considered quite strange and even creepy back home.  The night was a little rough, there was a lot of snoring and being a light sleeper, it was difficult to fall and stay asleep at first.  But after a while I was able to slip into sleep.  Not sure how I am going to like this trip yet…

No comments:

Post a Comment