Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Belize Trip: Day 4

1/5
Well, today was less than a pleasant experience in my opinion.  It definitely had some good parts to it though.  But let’s start from the begging as any day should.  We all got up around 8 for church at 10.  I immediately had a rumbling in my belly that I knew was not a good sign, but I went to breakfast regardless.  The cooks had made something… well something that was not what could be called a traditional Belizean breakfast.  They had prepared hotdogs with mustard, onions and mayo for us, and that was it.  This was strange because the morning before we had a wonderful breakfast of tortillas, beans and eggs.  Needless to say, the hotdogs at 8 AM did not sit well with my stomach.  After eating, I returned quickly to the building with our beds and darted for the restroom.  Let’s just say that something between the food and the stress of travel was NOT doing me any favors on this particular day.  Before I knew it, we were off to the church, most of us walked since it was the first day since we got to Belize that it was not raining.  The belly rumbling was telling me that walking down in the heat and sunshine may not have been the best idea.  I was definitely right.  We made it to the church during worship, and it was an incredible experience.  The singing between Spanish and English was very interesting, and most people really got into it.  And the music was LOUD.  I mean that we heard it up the hill a mile or two away.  The sermon, however, was done in Spanglish, so between that and the gut wrenching pains I was not able to pay much attention.  All I could tell was that the pastor was very very passionate and much of the congregation was as well.  After the service was over, I knew that I could not walk back up the hill to the camp site.  It was a battle I could not win.  So I rode back up in the van with some of the others.  While going back, I remembered and though about just how excited all of the church was to see us.  It was so encouraging to be welcomed there with such excitement, I cannot even express how great it feels to be welcomed and whatnot when in a totally foreign land. 
To save the ugly details, we’ll just say that between returning to church and leaving at 1:30, there were at least 3 more trips to the toilet.  None of them were pleasant.  The Imodium did not seem to help that much either, which I thought was strange.  But oh well, it was time to head to Guatemala for a while!

We all packed up into the van again and headed for the border.  It was a super short drive.  We were near the village of San Jose Succotz, which is about 2 miles from the border.  After all the hassle of leaving Belize and entering Guatemala (which went quite well, but was slow) I really thought about what it must be like for Qossay to travel through the checkpoints in his own country every day.  That cannot be a pleasant experience.  Then began the bus ride, that was not fun either.  The trip to Florence took what felt like an eternity, but was likely only about 90 minutes to two hours.  Still being sick and such made it feel even longer, needless to say it was near misery.  Once we got near our destination it really started to sink in just how much of a foreigner here I really am.  I do not understand much of the culture and I do not speak the language at all.  Only two people in our group know much more than the most basic Spanish, so that has the potential to make things quite difficult.  At dinner my stomach continued to rip in pain, but fortunately the Imodium has plugged me up.  I hope that a warm shower and some sleep will set me right for the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment