Thursday, January 9, 2014

Day Seven in Belize:

     Even though I only had a few hours of sleep last night, I woke up with a smile on my face knowing that we were going back to Belize. Guatemala was probably the most beautifulest place I have ever seen face to face but it was time to go back. We did a a lot of great work in Guatemala and visited many different places and tried so much food that I think I gained a couple pounds.
     We went to the pasta place for breakfast this morning and had eggs, a big chip with beans on it, and tomatoes. We enjoyed our last view of the lake from our outside meal. After that, we gathered our things and headed off to the Mayan ruins. It took about two hours to get there due to all of the rain we have had when it was suppose to be about an hour drive but I'm glad that we made it there safely.
     When we arrived, we found out that the entire area of ruins was over six miles long and that it would take about seven hours to see everything. I do not think we walked six miles but we were there for about seven hours because we were taking so many pictures and just enjoying everything. Each piece had it's own purpose which I thought was fascinating to see and know what all they did and what they looked like. Even though it was rainy and slippery, it did not stop us from climbing the ruins to get a better view of everything. My favorite piece was the second tallest building in South America which was a ruin. It took approx 200 steps to get up to the top and it was a great reward to get up there. You could literally see for miles and miles and see all of the ruins and mountains. It was a Kodak moment. I am terrified of heights so that was an achievement for me personally but I just could not look straight down. There were a lot of people up there so I decided to make a joke by saying "Hey the Wi-Fi works up here! I have two bars!" And this guy next to me said seriously?! And a lot of people looked at me. I thought it was humorous.
     While we were up there, we saw a raccoon/anteater animal that was super sweet! It had a nose like an anteater and a body like a raccoon that climbed the ruins without the stairs. Pretty impressive in my opinion. We visited a few more spots after that and headed off to the border which was a couple of hours away. We had dinner after crossing over at this local restaurant by our campgrounds. I had fried rice and a chocolate milkshake and it was great. Waiting for us at the campgrounds were the education majors from MVNU. Heck yes to more people! It is nice seeing more people from school and cannot wait to see what all we do for the next couple weeks with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment