Sunday, January 5, 2014

The journey continues into Guatemala



              Today we went to the local Nazarene church in the morning, and traveled to Guatemala in the afternoon. It was the first sunny day Belize has had in a while, and we could feel the heat in the first minute of the walk to church. The rainy season is coming to an end, and there is lots of warm weather in store for the trip. It was nice to have a day without rain, and crazy to think that its about 70 degrees warmer here than Ohio! We packed up our things and it was time to head to Guatemala in the early afternoon. I had a little anxiety coming back to Guatemala, because of the border checkpoint neglecting to stamp me out last time. There was a lot of planning Dr. Skon and I had to do for this situation in the fall, and we were hoping for the best today. I was able to get through the border without trouble with the aid of Pastor Eric and Dr. Skon. I am very thankful I did not have to miss out on this part of the trip, and I will not take it for granted. Thankfully I didn’t hold up the group because we had to wait for Ishmael and his son to come pick us up. It was nice having a smoother car ride in Guatemala, after an hour or so long scenic trip we arrived at the Hotel Villa Del Lago (pictured) on Isle de Flores. It is a huge jump going from the camp in Succotz to this, and it makes you think about a tourist’s perspective compared to someone more submersed in the culture. The CS guys won’t have near as much time here as in Belize, but I’m sure we can find a way to adapt and get the most out of it. It is a very peaceful evening here, and It allows for some time to reflect on the things God has blessed us with on this trip. Last time the J-term group was welcomed with fireworks and sirens in the evenings, right in the midst of a festival. I am excited to see the work we can do here, and how things unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment