Friday, January 3, 2014

Renewing Faith in Belize/Guatemala

When I was first presented with the opportunity to go to Belize and Guatemala I was intrigued by the chance to go and explore a new culture in a place that I have never visited before. As a seasoned traveller I have visited many places in Europe, Morocco, Colombia, and Mexico; therefore, I was curious as to how similar or different Belize would be from the other places that I have been. From the reading I've done, I've made Belize out to have a fairly fascinating past in part due to its status as a British Colony that was settled by British privateers who were determined to raid Spanish treasures in the new world. Perhaps that picture is far too simplistic, due in part to the complicated relationship that exists between the indigenous population, which consists of mainly Mayans, and the invading European forces primarily led by Britain and Spain in Belize. The Maya in Belize were able to fend off Spanish advances; however, disease took their toll and weakened them to the point that the British privateers were able to establish control of the coast before gradually moving inland. Perhaps this overview of the history is far too simplistic, but I hope that it shows the rich culture of Belize in part because of the competing cultural groups that sought to control the territory. As the week goes on, I really do hope to be able to share more of what I've learned, and perhaps small little tidbits of information will prove to be interesting to those of you who are taking the time to read this.

While the exploration of a new culture is always fascinating, the primary reason why our group is travelling to Belize and Guatemala is far different than to experience a new place. This is after all a service trip; however, I often wonder what "service" actually means. In part the word depends on the mindset of the people who are travelling to engage in mission work. From my previous experience working as a Mission Trip Co-ordinator in various locales in the United States, there were two groups of people that I encountered. There were people who travelled to a site with the mindset that they were coming to save those who needed help. Then there were those who had realized that they were the ones being impacted and saved through their relationships with the members of the communities that they served. Ever since my service trip to Hamlin, West Virginia in 2008 I have taken the latter view due to the words of a wonderful woman named Ardella Wilkinson upon that trip. A few weeks before we went down, Ardella had lost her husband; therefore, we had no idea how she was going to react to our presence as we worked upon her house. I remember being surprised at how strong and welcoming she appeared on the first day as she greeted us and offered us iced tea and lemonade as we worked on her house. It just goes to show that people are capable of defying your expectations. Later that week, I found myself sitting in the kitchen having a conversation with Ardella when her daughter came in and happened to be on the phone speaking to the grave headstone company. Unsure of what to do--whether I should leave or stay--I ended up reaching my hand out to Ardella. She said thank you. Those two words have been for so long a cornerstone of my faith, because in that moment I could see what mysterious ways that the God of Love works in.

It's funny how often I've mentioned that story, because looking back on it now I wish that I still had that clarity about faith. I wish that my belief was as strong as it used to be. The past few years have driven me farther away from my faith than I have been before, in part because God felt like he's been there through everything that's happened. There have been moments when I'm prepared to walk away from faith altogether, but then I remember what it once felt like to have that security and to truly believe and I find myself continually willing to give God another chance to lead me back to him. For me, Belize and Guatemala present God with another chance to prove himself to me through the relationships that I form here. Through the service that I do here. It would be easy for me to put back on my mask and pretend that I still had faith because I have the perfect story for every question; however, the reality is that Belize and Guatemala are in a way my way of giving God another chance to pursue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment