Monday, January 20, 2014

Day Eighteenth in Belize:

     Here comes 6:30am again everyday for the rest of the week. I thought sleeping until 7 was terrible yesterday, but even half an hour makes a huge difference. I felt tired throughout the day but that did not bring me down I still stay active and positive throughout the day trying to get stuff down. We had a great breakfast this morning. It was pancakes and eggs. I seem to really enjoy their pancakes here there is just something about them that makes me want more but they are so filling that I cannot eat anymore.
     The two Sophomores (including me) went with our mentor to one of the schools to test Wi-Fi connection there. It was a great experience and I ran into some people from the education group that were teaching. Personally, I really enjoyed working with the internet and seeing how it all works. I really think that I picked the right major for me. We went all over the school to make sure every classroom and every corner had connection. It ended up being very successful and hopefully we will instal it this week before we leave so I do not miss out on it.  We were there for a couple of hours.      
     After we were done, we brought our equipment with us back to the log cabin. The others were waiting for us to get back so that we could go to the other school to start some classes. A few people from Belize are taking the courses which will be nice to get to know them and know their skills with computers. They both work for IT so I assume that they have some skill. The first class was a internet security course that I found really interesting and I am really excited to be in the class in a couple of years when I have met all of the requirements for the class. Some of the things that they talked about was a little scary. Some of the stories that were on the news about people hacking into companies computers and stealing all sorts of knowledge and money. Unfortunately, there are still many hackers out there today that need to be shut down, but with a course like this, it will be nice to know how everything works and how to help prevent hackers from getting into things they should not be in to. The other course that I am a part of is software and system engineering. I heard from some of the guys that this will be a difficult and time consuming course and I think it will be even more hard when some of us will be in the States while the professor will be staying here. But I am sure that I will do fine (I hope!).
     After classes, we came back home and chilled until our meeting. Our mentor, Doug, gave a presentation on how the internet worked at the log cabins and the troubles he had with it because of the material theses buildings are made out of. I have heard this subject a hundred times so I know it from the inside out and I am glad I do since it had a lot to do with my major and I helped work on it and saw all that he did beforehand. After that, we had dinner. They had fried chicken, salad, and mashed potatoes that was all delicious of course! I am weird because I hate picking off the meat off the bones and am afraid that I will get a bone in my mouth and something bad happen. That is why I only had a couple of them, but they tasted fine, I just do not like to work for my food I suppose.
     We had our evening class when we were finished. We mainly talked about the courses today and the projects we will be doing for them and for seminar of development. It will all be a challenge, and I will prevail with an A on my final grade (again, hopefully). Tomorrow is our first day of lab for software and system engineering that I am kind of nervous about, but being on a team will help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment