Monday, January 6, 2014

Breaking the Rules

Living life to the fullest is one of my goals. It is also not something that always comes naturally. Being a partial introvert, sometimes I have a tendency to remain on the sidelines or to choose what is comfortable over what is scary. This is something that I definitely want to avoid on this trip, but how do I go about making the most of the opportunities I have?

Well, at various times in my life I have had rules. The most recent example being when I went to Nepal for the second time. On that trip, I had two rules: Don't eat anything made out of eggs, and don't touch any dogs. By the end of the trip, I no longer had those rules. Despite the lack of refrigeration, the fried eggs looked too good next to the lemon-sugar pancakes, and there were a few dogs I encountered that looked clean enough. Reflecting on these experiences made me think about what rules I have at the moment during this Belize adventure.

I'm not talking about morals or authority-imposed rules, but I think in this quest to not have any regrets at the end of my adventure, it's important to think about what limitations I have self-imposed and whether or not any of those rules need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment